Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Beat The Heat

There isn't a better way to fall asleep than knowing you just defeated LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh and the rest of that team in Miami, unfortunately I have been unsuccessful in doing so. For the last few nights I have been sitting in my chair in the wee hours of the night attempting to beat the Miami Heat in NBA Live 2004 (PS2) on Superstar Level.

You are probably confused why I am playing NBA Live 2004, well, it is arguably the greatest EA Sports production of all time. Also, you are more than likely confused because I said I was attempting to beat James, Wade and Bosh, but those guys weren't on the team in 2004. Well, I manually updated the rosters of every NBA team over the past six years and just recently put the final touches on the updated line-ups and ratings.


Here is how the game is set up.

Miami Heat vs. Los Angeles Lakers
- I alternate where the game in played.
- 8 Minute Quarters
- Fatigue: On
- Camera: Baseline Low (Zoomed Out a bit)



Previous Results:
Attempt #  -  Result
1. L, 87-59
2. L, Quit (Dinner)
3. L, Quit (Frustration)
4. L, 54-31 (Game Froze @ Halftime)
5. L, 97-86
6. L, 98-82
7.L, 119-111



Kia Motors: Keys To The Game

1. Slow down the pace, for some reason I overcompensated the speed of the Heat when I updated their ratings. If I try to get out and run, it will be halted, so I have to remember to run my offense.

2. Get BIG! With a front line of Illgauskas and Bosh, I should be able to power the ball down low and take advantage of their Cabbage Patch mentality, but this is a video game and somehow they are both 90 in blocking and even though they get blown by in the post, they never fail to swat the ball from behind. So the pump fake is crucial!


3. Badger Eddie House! The best part about turning fatigue on is Dwayne Wade gets winded, and that means he will need a few minutes to quench his thirst, but more importantly it means Eddie House will get 4-6 minutes a game. Eddie's handles are suspect, and I routinely call a "Double Team" to trap the shit out of him. The traps work about 33% of the time.


4. Understand that Horace Grant takes names. Even though I updated all the rosters, the most important roster move was activating Horace Grant from the Lakers IR and proverbial NBA death. Despite a half-dozen knee injuries and goggles Michael Phelps would envy, Horace is still a force on the defensive end. I like to "User" Horace and give Bosh a really hard time. Even if Bosh makes a contested hook shot, rest assured that Horace gave him a nice jab in the side.

 


5. Lean on Kobe and Fisher to take big shots.

6. Remember that LeBron is uncharacteristically clutch.

Here's an example:
"With 20 seconds on the clock in a tie game, the real life LeBron James would force a long jumper only to see it clank on the back board, front rim if he's in the zone.  Now when you take the same situation and implant it into NBA Live 2004, LeBron drives the lane, welcomes contact then proceeds to finish above the rim and covert the And-One play." 

Needless to say, you can't defend it.

7.  Don't text during the game.  I need to 100% focus to compete with the Heat, and if I am receiving and returning multiple text messages, my mind won't be on exploiting Miami's occasional 2-3 zone. 




 
Meet The Lakers



 Meet The Heat


No comments:

Post a Comment