Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cheesehead 4 Life

With the hours closing in on yet another NFL season, I felt it fitting to throw in my 2 cents about what football means to me. 

Two decades ago, I was in a precarious predicament involving my Dad and the best slice of foam cheese money can buy.  He offered this massive diary product to me as a gift, a gift that would later be repaid tenfold.  When I try to recollect childhood memories, the most vivid images I can remember are the ones with green and yellow in them. 

Jared - 2008
I remember sitting on my Dad’s lap chanting “Go Pack Go” when we scored. 
I remember wearing my Reggie White jersey to school on Monday’s to rub in a Packers’ win. 
I remember playing knee football with my older brother during games and losing. 

I remember my Mom running upstairs during close games because she couldn’t bear to watch which lead to my Dad yelling for her to come back down. 

I remember my Dad always having to sit in the same exact spot for every game. Not only did he have a spot, but he assigned the rest of the family a seat as well.  I still can see those gaudy Packers pants that my Dad wears. 
I remember holding back my cheers on big touchdown plays because my Dad had to make sure there were no flags on the play.  Most of my happiest childhood times where Sundays at noon.  It was one of the only times my whole family would be together. 

My Mom always tells the story of when the Packers lost the NFC Championship to the Cowboys in 1995, (I was 4 and my brother was 7 at the time).  The Packers lost and Jared and I were crying hysterically.  My Mom didn’t know how to calm us down, so she called my Dad, who was working in Chicago at the time.  He could hardly get a word in because of our incoherent sobbing, but he said “Just wait, we’ll be back next year”.  And sure enough the Packers won    Super Bowl XXXI the next season. 

Dad - 2009
I’ve had two dogs in my lifetime, both were purchased in December during a Packers playoff run and both were named accordingly: Reggie White Dye & Jennings McCarthy Dye.  

On my first trip to Green Bay, my Dad would drive past the mile markers and state the distance left ‘til we arrived.  He would say, “93 Miles”, then my brother and I would scream Gilbert Brown, who was #93 at the time.  When we passed the 25 mile mark, we would yell “Dorsey Levens”. I mastered the Packers roster before I even attempted to grasp multiplication.  


Every time my family goes to the Pro Shop, we rack up ridiculous totals.   
We have three rules when we shop there:

Rule #1: Both boys get a jersey.

Rule #2: Mom gets an ornament.

Rule #3: No limits.

Packers fans always stick together also.  I've talked, watched and loved the Packers with these people over the years.  It's not easy finding a large group of Packer fans who are as diehard as me in Illinois. These Cheeseheads need some recognition:

Jared Dye, Alec Heist, Brian Doroba, Charlie Garman, Jordan Townsend, DJ Phelps, Meg Schroeder, Tyler Power and Trent Lamphier?
 

When the ball is kicked off tonight, I welcome another NFL season with open arms.  I will always cherish the memories I have from the game of football and will always continue to make new ones.  Even though the cheese on my head as aged far past what the FDA recommends, I wear it with pride.

It's hard being this cool.

Super Bowl Party - 1997

Derek - 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment